The gateway from Europe to Asia, an integral part of the mythical and mystical silk road, cradle to civilizations, history and filled with historical cultures, Empires and Eastern surpise: TURKEY!
Since the time of the Pharoes and before, this cultural and historical land has an accumulation of history, culture and life that spans the millenia; along with natural beauty we have the ultimate travel destination – an open-air museum to learn, natural beauty to admire and a culture that adapts to the new and respects the old.
The must sees and does of TURKEY…!
– Don’t leave the country without having been to the Dardanelles Straits; this world’s most important strait is lit up at night from both sides with the glittering lights that is the non-stop metropolis of Istanbul, while graced by lanterns hanging from the many boat tours that glide between them.
• You must eat fish from one of the many restaurants that are found along both side of the Istanbul Strait; they can be found in Beylerbeyi, Anadolu Kavağı, Üsküdar, Tarabya, Sarıyer, Kuruçeşme and similar locations along its length.
• Don’t leave without having been on a hot-air balloon tour of one of nature’s miracles – Cappadoccia.
• You must visit the amazing and magical seas that can be found around the Aegean and Mediterranean. Awesome places to visit include: Bodrum, Fethiye, Marmaris, Kaş, Kalkan and make sure to go on their ”Turquaz Tour”!
• Don’t leave Istanbul without having visited the historical peninsula, islands, Çamlıca Hill or Beyoğlu.
• You must go shopping for all of the brands that you could ever want or imagine among the traditional and modern settings that only Turkey can provide – from an open-air bazaar that may date-back centuries to the most modern of retail outlets.
• Don’t leave without having visited a historical and traditional Turkish Bath.
• You must try out the Turkish cuisine: from regional kebabs to traditional pastries. Sweeten your life with baklava! Chat over a Turkish coffee, gossip over the tea, try the buttermilk and don’t forget the sherbet!
• You must visit Konya between December the 7th and 17th to witness the Mevlevi Seb-i celebrations; see the Whirling Dervishes in their full glory!
• Don’t leave without having visited the theraputic and medicinal spas and springs that can be found in Bursa, Izmir or Denizli.
• You must visit the World Heritage Site’s listings of Troy, Hierapolis and Cappadoccia – unique beauty, culture and history; three-in-one!
• You must visit the many ethnographic sites that so dominate the landscape; from the Topkapi Palace to the Hagia Sophia and then onto the myriad of museums…. and we’re still only in Istanbul!
• Don’t forget to dive in a country surrounded on three-sides by seas that can show you history and a marine environment at the same time!
• You must visit the Grand Bazaar, the Spice Bazaar and the other many historic and modern shopping districts and places.
• Don’t leave without having visited the Istanbul Jazz Festival, the Aspendos Opera & Ballet Festival, the Antalya Golden Orange Film Festival or one of the other many major and minor festivals that take place in Turkey.
• You must visit the House of the Virgin Mary in Izmir, the Sumela Monestary in Trabzon, the St. Nicholas Monastery in Antalya; witness the paths of religion in so many ways and places.
• Don’t leave without having visited the Ataturk Mausoleum in Ankara or visiting the War of Independence Museum, to witness how the Republic was formed and why it was established.
• You must visit St. Pierre’s Church in Hatay.
• Don’t leave without taking a small trip to see Antalya’s hydro-hypnotic, powerful Duden and Manavgat waterfalls.
• You must see the Van Lake, the largest in Turkey and Akdamar Island.
• Don’t leave without having become acquainted with the unique nature of the Black Sea Region, with Uzungol, Storm Creek, Ayder plateau; there are many places of exceptional beauty to see and become entranced by.
• You must visit the ancient city of Ani in Kars.
• Don’t leave without having experienced the adrenalin rush of the many extreme sports that you can indulge yourself in.
• You must visit the monuments and tombs around Gallipoli and pay respect to the fallen from all sides. This is a place of history, thoughtfulness and respect and one placed critically at the heart of the Turkish Republic.
• Don’t leave without having danced ’til the dawn in any one of the night-clubs that can be found in Istanbul, Izmir, Antalya and so many other places dotted around the country.